'The true cook is the perfect blend, the only perfect blend, of artist and philosopher. He knows his worth: he holds in his palm the happiness of mankind, the welfare of generations yet unborn.'

Sunday, 2 December 2012

My 29th birthday

I don't know if I'm alone here, but as I started approaching the end of my 20's, each birthday almost became a dread rather than a blessing. That said, I had a very relaxed and pleasant 29th birthday yesterday - especially since I had a stomach flu on my birthday last year! I spent the day meeting up with some of my students and chilling at uni, and had a potluck with friends in the evening at home. After dinner we watched tonnes of YIF magic videos and tried to decipher how he did those unbelievable feats. It was a day well spent and thanks to everybody for their kind birthday wishes!

First of all, the wacky birthday gifts:


Baking gadgets that I requested, courtesy of my flatmate Tim!


Also from Tim: an unusual recording of the Chopin Etudes by Evelyn Brancatt, with 24 accompanying recipes...















My favourite potato crisps and Vita lemon tea from Yuqing and Bing Bing:



















Truffles from one of my students




Free vacuuming tickets from my neighbour Hitomi!















And roses (!!) from Jin Hai - the first time I received flowers outside of a recital...! I'm not sure how I should feel about it haha! :P




Dishes from the potluck


Pad Thai by Jin Hai.

Pork slivers and dried beancurd by Connie.

Chinese leaves with onions and mushrooms by Connie.


Sweet and sour pork by me.

Cake time! I would have wanted to get a chocolate cake from Zach, but since I live too far away from Texas I had to make my own - sad, isn't it? Anyway, I made a devil's food cake by Rose Levy Beranbaum and also a Cupid's strawberry cake (recipe coming soon!) as a belated gift to Connie and Sandra.






VS




Connie has amazing cutting skill - see how even the slices are!





Génoise cake with two kinds of jam and honey-meyer lemon buttercream, and strawberries.

 

Photos from the evening








The father and the son.

Charcoal in kimono!

Jin Hai lost herself in dancing... until she realised I was taking photos!























Thanks everyone!




2 comments: